National Center of Legal Information of the Republic of Belarus
The formation of the information society in Belarus is one of the main priorities of national development. Belarus has made concrete steps toward introducing information technologies into the legal sphere and thereby, has made public information on the activity of state bodies accessible to a wide group of people. The state system of legal information of the Republic of Belarus (SSLI), created by applying modern information technologies to the legal sphere, guarantees everyone the possibility of realizing his or her inalienable right to obtain complete, valid and official legal information.
Responsibility for the operation and development of the SSLI belongs to the National Center of Legal Information of the Republic of Belarus (the NCLI), which is a scientific and practical institution of the central state, in the sphere of legal informatization. The NCLI is ideological in coordinating these processes and performing these functions with the decisions and edicts of the President of the Republic of Belarus No 338 of June 30, 1997 and No 524 of October 30, 1998.
The Director of the National Center of Legal Information of the Republic of Belarus, Andrey A. Gaev, was appointed to the office by the Edict of the President of the Republic of Belarus No.343 of July 31, 2012.
The main tasks of the National Center of Legal Information of the Republic of Belarus are the following:
- ensuring the operation and development of the state system of legal information;
- forming and managing the single standard databank of legal information of the Republic of Belarus and other informational and legal resources;
- providing and disseminating standard legal information and official publication of legal acts;
- participating in coordination of activity on dissemination of legal information in the Republic of Belarus;
- participating in preparation of drafts of normative legal acts and the development and improvment of juridical terminology in Russian and Belarusian and its translation into foreign languages;
- performing scientific research in the sphere of legal informatization;
- maintaining of interstate legal information exchange.
In compliance with the Regulation on the National Center of Legal Information of the Republic of Belarus and within the framework of performing its principal tasks, the NCLI:
- collects legal information in the order established by legislation, as well as performing its processing, storage, systematization and updates;
- ensures the proper management of the National Register of Legal Acts of the Republic of Belarus and performs its official publication;
- creates and manages the standard databank of legal information of the Republic of Belarus and other databanks and databases of legal information;
- creates, manages and maintains the National Legal Internet Portal of the Republic of Belarus and other informational and legal resources of the global computer Internet network created by the NCLI;
- manages and maintains the Unified Legal Classifier of the Republic of Belarus, terminological dictionaries (including thesauruses and the multi-language dictionary of juridical terms), and also develops other legal information search languages;
- forms an electronic library containing information on international law and the legislation of foreign states, providing access to state bodies and other state organizations;
- provides and disseminates legal information and, within its authority, participates in the licensing of legal information dissemination activity and other regulated aspects of this activity in the order established by legislation;
- creates regional centers of legal information and supervises their activity;
- participates in the organization and execution of interstate legal information exchange;
- participates in developing drafts of normative legal acts regulating issues of legal informatization, in the established order;
- participates in the training of specialists and scientific personnel in the field of legal informatization in the established order of legislation;
- carries out other kinds of activities related to solving problems entrusted to the NCLI, in accordance with the legislation.
The Center has affiliates in all oblasts centers and the City of Minsk. An absolute majority of its employees have higher educations in law, mathematics, technical engineering and philology. The average age of its specialists is 35.
As a result of many years of valuable work and significant contributions to improving the state system of legal information, Yuly Kashinsky, the first Director of the NCLI (from 1997 to 2006), was awarded the medal “For Working Accomplishments” by the Edict of the President of the Republic of Belarus of July 5, 2002 No. 366. The President of the Republic of Belarus has announced his Gratitude to two NCLI’s employees, while ten of them were awarded Diplomas of the Administration of the President of the Republic of Belarus.
An important result of the Center’s activity is the creation of an effective state system of legal information, in a short period of time, based on the application of modern information technologies in Belarus. This system is an integrated, multi-component mechanism accumulating legal acts adopted in the country and keeping them updated, thus providing every person in need of such information, with standard legal information. Problems have also been solved related to consolidating streams of legal information into one state structure, at all levels and within all branches of the government. Procedures for the timely presentation of obligatory legal acts to the NCLI have been elaborated and are now in effect, regardless of the level of the body adopting them. Essentially, an evolution in introducing informatization into the legal sphere has occurred, based on combining modern computer technologies and legislation.
Already, only one year after its establishment, the NCLI has organized an effective method of providing legal information to state bodies, substantially broadened the sphere of disseminating legal information in electronic form, established close business contacts with similar organizations in CIS member states and contributed to the significant enlargement of interstate legal information exchange (from the Decision of the Collegium of the Administration of the President of the Republic of Belarus held in the NCLI on January 26, 1999).
In practice, the NCLI guarantees the realization of the constitutional right of every citizen of the Republic of Belarus to receive complete, valid and timely legal information, contributes to increasing the quality of law-making and law enforcement activity and promotes the legal culture of Belarusian society. Legal information prepared by the Center is widely used.
Download a presentation about the National Center of Legal Information of the Republic of Belarus.